Introducing the ultimate legend of one of the most popular games to ever be played, featured in this week’s MaiStoryBook Library Collection:
“The Legend of Rock, Paper, Scissors” by Drew Daywalt and Adam Rex
*~Click here to purchase your own copy of *The Legend of Rock, Paper, Scissors* to start on your own reading adventure! (This is an affiliate link~ 5% of your purchase will go to MaiStoryBook to help create Reading Resources for your littles)~
Book Synopsis and Review
*Rock, Paper, Scissors…Shoot!* Sound familiar?? Ever wonder how this universal game, that has *rocked* the world, came to be? Well, fear not~ here lies the answer to your wonderings~ prepare to discover *The Legend* of Rock, Paper, Scissors. In this legend, Rock, Paper, and Scissors, are the three greatest Warriors in all of the land. For years they have gone unchallenged, battling and conquering foe after foe. No one can stand up to their strength, wit, or speed. However, instead of gloating in their undefeated streaks of victory, Rock, Paper, and Scissors yearn for someone who can give them a real challenge~ a worthy opponent against whom they can test their true prowess. The three great warriors decide to leave their homelands in search of new adversaries to battle. Then~ one day~ in the great cavern of *Two Car Garage*, our three legendary heroes come face to face~ for one of the most epic battles in history! Who wins??? Read on to find out!
Written by the same author of *The Day the Crayons Quit*, “The Legend of Rock, Paper, Scissors* contains the same wit and humor that capture little one’s awe and thrill their minds! The dramatic telling of this simple game will leave you itching to play a *Rock Paper Scissors* tournament. Plus, the outrageous illustrations add to the dramatic effect~ ramping up the excitement for each battle in the story. This is a story bursting with energy~ and perfect for a read aloud *perhaps not right before bedtime… it may get little ones pumped up rather than soothed for a good night’s rest* Prepare for an epic read aloud of power, cunning, and spirited fun!
- Unsatisfied (p. 6) not happy or pleased
- Foe (p. 11) enemy
- Outwit (p. 13) trick someone by being smarter
- Adversaries (p. 25) enemy or opponent, someone you are fighting against
- Cavern (p. 30) a cave
- Legends: Talk about what are legends- traditional stories from long ago that tell about something in history, but aren’t true
- Appreciate challenges. It’s boring to always win. Be excited to find someone or something that pushes you to be the best you can be
YouTube Video: Guided Shared-Reading Read Aloud Example
Example of a shared-reading, interactive Read Aloud of “The Legend of Rock, Paper, Scissors” – how to subtly introduce the vocabulary list words within the text, ask guided questions, and spark conversation!
*~Check it Out~*
Subscribe: MaiStoryBook Youtube Channel for additional read aloud videos!
Follow: MaiStoryBook on Vimeo for additional read aloud videos!
*Rock Paper Scissors Rule Wheel* Craft
*Rock, Paper, Scissors, Shoot!* The playful words echo through the open hallways of school as children squirm to line up. A scuffle over a place in line? *Rock Paper Scissor, Shoot!* Who gets to carry in the lunch boxes? *Rock Paper Scissor, Shoot!* Who gets to use the red smelly marker? *Rock Paper Scissor, Shoot!* One of the few games that doubles as a problem-solving tool, Rock Paper Scissors offers countless opportunities for amusement and fun. It’s an endless battle with no clear winner~ Lose a round? You just might be the ultimate champion for the next 5 rounds. A game where anyone can win~ since Rock Paper and Scissors are equally strong ~ it has permeated through backyards, bedrooms, and classrooms. However, first learning the rules can be tricky~ Who beats Who??? Well, MaiStoryBook has you covered! This week’s craft will give you a clever cheat sheet~ to support your own tournament of Rock Paper Scissors fun! Prepare for an afternoon of friendly competition through hand battles!
- Mini paper plate
- Rule Wheel Downloadable Printout
- Pipe cleaner
- Rock Paper Scissors Championship Downloadable Printout
- Poke a hole through the middle of the Rule Wheel and the Mini Paper Plate so that the holes align.
- Cut off a small piece of the pipe cleaner and poke it through both holes. Bend the pipe cleaner at both ends to keep attach the Rule Wheel to the Mini Paper Plate.
- Print put the Rock Paper Scissors Championship Sheet.
- Grab some markers and prepare to play! The championship is to see whether Rock, Paper, or Scissors, wins the most games. Play with a partner and record whether Rock Paper or Scissors wins the round for either player. *The competition isn’t between you and your friend~ rather together you are seeing whether Rock Paper or Scissors will win the most rounds!*
Enjoy Your Rock, Paper, Scissors Rule Wheel and Championship Game
- Play your Championship game with a family member or friend. Use your Rule Wheel to explain how to win and who beats who
- Use your Rule Wheel to retell the Legend to a family member or friend
- Have your Rule Wheel as a reading buddy as you reread the Legend for more laughter and giggles
- Bring along your Rule Wheel to teach friends the new game
*~Overall, have fun creating your own *Rock Paper Scissors Rule Wheel* Craft, and I hope you and your little ones enjoy some friendly competition! – tag me on Instagram @MaiStoryBookLibrary – or post on FaceBook to share your photos of your own *Rock Paper Scissors Rule Wheel* Crafts, Championships, and your own reading adventures! I’d love to hear from you!~*
*Check Back on Next Friday for our New Reading Adventure*
*~Until next time, Happy Reading~*