Introducing the beautiful, heart warming newly released children’s book by Oliver Jeffers in this week’s MaiStoryBook Library Collection:
“Here We Are: Notes for Living on Planet Earth” by Oliver Jeffers
Book Synopsis and Review
*~Welcome, little ones, to a home called Earth~* Here is everything you need to know, to start your journey with us here on this planet~*
And thus begins this breath-taking glimpse into the secrets of our universe~ from the deep depths of our seas, to the vast range of terrains, to the celestial heavens and bodies in the sky, prepare to discover the wonders of our world with your little ones. This guide to life on Earth simplifies the complexity of life here on this planet, providing insights on everything from humanity and the creatures that live here, to the way time warps~ moving slowly and peacefully, or rushing and passing us by- gone before we know it. However, though the world may seem infinite, and grander than our wildest dreams, never forget, *You are never alone here on Earth* (There are 7+ billion people ~ and despite our differences, we are all in this together)
With the holidays approaching, I highly recommend this book for all parents with little ones, especially new parents or expecting parents-to-be~* Oliver Jeffers actually created this book for his own baby son, creating for him a set of notes welcoming him to Earth and sharing with him his hopes and wishes. The witty text and gorgeous illustrations captivate the cosmic wonders of Earth and the universe, and introduce little ones to all of the elements of our planet, while celebrating the vast diversity of those who call this planet home. Overall, this is a perfect story to welcome your precious little ones to the world. Plus there, are so many opportunities for conversation and learning in this book, it’s incredible!
- Globe (p. 1) Earth
- Iceberg (p. 8) big block of frozen water in the ocean
- Constellation (p. 10 ) patterns of stars in the sky, that you can connect to make different shapes and figures
- Atmosphere (p. 10) the gases and air surrounding Earth
- Patient (p. 16) wait calmly and don’t worry
- You are Never Alone: You can always find someone to help you~ after all there are 7,327,450,667+ people on Earth
- We are All People: People come in many different sizes, shapes, and colors, but we are all people, and we are all in this together
YouTube Video: Guided Shared-Reading Read Aloud Example
Example of a shared-reading, interactive Read Aloud of “Here We Are: Notes for Living on Planet Earth” – how to subtly introduce the vocabulary list words within the text, ask guided questions, and spark conversation!
*~Check it Out~*
Subscribe: MaiStoryBook Youtube Channel for additional read aloud videos!
Follow: MaiStoryBook on Vimeo for additional read aloud videos!
You Are Never Alone Paper Doll Chain Craft
The Earth is complex with its land and sea and skies. And you can’t forget the diverse life forms that inhabit our planet~ Thinking of it all can be quite overwhelming! In the grand scheme of the world, we are one tiny person. But one tiny person can make a difference, and a lot of tiny people together can make a family, and lots of families together become friends, and all the friends coming together become communities, and so on~ until your one tiny person becomes part of an infinite system of support and connection. After all, *here we are*~ here we all are, on planet Earth, and we are all in this together. We’ve only got one Earth, so share it, take care of it, and love all that’s on it. Overall, enjoy an afternoon with your little one, discovering the secrets of the world and creating your own unique paper doll chain of love and support~*
- 2 sheets of 5×10″ paper
- Colorful Paper Scraps
- *Optional additional decor: glitter, puff balls, beads, puffy paint, ribbon, etc.
- Trace a paper doll outline onto one sheet of white paper, fitting 3 dolls onto one sheet. Layer the two white pieces of paper so you can cut both at the same time. *Optional to use more than 2 sheets for a longer doll chain
- Cut out the paper dolls and glue the two different sets of dolls together to create a chain of 6 dolls
- Next~ Time to Decorate! Go wild with any decor materials you have! Below is the guide for how I decorated mine, but make yours as unique as you want~*
- Cut out colorful paper trapezoid skirts, long rectangles for pants, and short rectangle shirts for the dolls, eyeing the measurements to fit over the legs and body.
- Cut out poofy, curly, straight, long, short, etc. hair for the dolls, cutting out a hollow edge to fit over their head. Cut out triangles for hats.
- Use the markers to draw faces, or to color the dolls all different shades!
- Glue on any additional decor!
Enjoy Your *You Are Never Alone* Paper Doll Chain!
- Read the story again with your reading buddy paper doll craft, taking your time exploring the illustrations and small details.
- Hang your paper doll chain in a central family location, to remind each other of the support and love in your home and community.
- Share your paper doll chain with a loved one, explaining what it symbolizes *You are never alone here on Earth, and we are all in this together*
*~Overall, have fun creating your own *You are Never Alone Paper Doll Chain*, and I hope you and your little ones enjoy this beautiful, heart-warming book! Please comment below – tag me on Instagram @MaiStoryBookLibrary – or post on FaceBook to share your photos of your own *You are Never Alone Paper Doll Chains* and your own reading adventures! I’d love to hear from you!~*
*Check Back on Next Friday for our New Reading Adventure*
*~Until next time, Happy Reading~*