Introducing the Fiery Friday Feast Feature of the week in MaiStoryBook Library’s Collection:
“Dragons Love Tacos” by Adam Rubin and Daniel Salmieri
Book Synopsis and Review
~Welcome to the *hottest* dinner party of the year, with some of the *hungriest* guests of honor you’ll ever meet~ Having some dragons over for dinner? Not sure what to feed them?? No fear, this little guy is here~ to tell you ALL about how to throw the *hit* dragon party of the century: a TACO party~ because after all, as everyone knows, Dragons LOVE tacos ! Big tacos, little tacos, beef tacos, chicken tacos, *maybe nixay on the veggie tacos* they’ll devour them all! You’ll be the talk of the town- just one rule, of course, NO SPICY SALSA…or else…well…can you imagine what might happen if fire-breathing dragons have *spicy* salsa…?? Well, thank goodness you buried all of the salsa in the backyard, right? Didn’t you?? …oh wait… what does that mild salsa with little green specks say in fine print at the very teeny tiny bottom of the jar…Your dinner party is about to be *blazing* through the night!
A fabulously, fun, foodie read, this book is sure to win over any child with its uproarious text and captivating illustrations. This book is great for practicing prediction and making inferences with your child~ there are tons of clues throughout the pictures and text regarding what will happen at this *hottest* taco party of the year~ so really prompt your little ones to predict what’s going to happen! This unforgettable tale weaves an ode to new friends, good conversation, and the comfort of a close friend’s laughter. Plus, be prepared to get your taste buds tingling for some tacos, and your tummy rumbling for some crispy snacks! Added bonus, after reading this book, you’ll know exactly what NOT to do if a dragon comes to your house for dinner!
- Sizzling (p. 3) very hot
- Speck (p. 7) tiny spot
- Mild (p. 8) not too much flavor
- Charades (p. 12) a game where you act things out with no sound, people guess what you are acting
- Samaritans (p. 27) a helpful person
- Friendship: The best part about being together is good conversation and hearing good friends’ laughter
- Making Predictions: Great book for making inferences and predictions about what will happen in the story. Prompt your child to see if they can predict what will happen at the taco party!
Vimeo Video: Guided Shared-Reading Read Aloud Example
Example of a shared-reading, interactive Read Aloud of “Dragons Love Tacos” – how to subtly introduce the vocabulary list words within the text, ask guided questions, and spark conversation!
Follow: MaiStoryBook on Vimeo for additional read aloud videos!
Subscribe: MaiStoryBook Youtube Channel for additional read aloud videos!
Fire-Breathing Salsa Dragon Activity
Good friends and favorite foods, sounds of laughter and full belly feelings~I am most definitely looking forward to a much-needed, week-long break of family, fun, and food! And I wouldn’t at all mind scheduling in a *taco* dinner party ~ I’ve heard *taco bars* are currently one of *hottest* new food selections. Seems like dragons have the right idea~after all, apparently they are some of the *biggest* party-thrower-goers around- costume parties, pool parties, accordion parties~But any kind of party with delicious food and lively conversation is the best party to throw/go to. And of course, little ones can have foodie parties as well- what little kid wouldn’t go *bananas* over a sandwich bar with peanut butter, various jellies, marshmallows, chocolate chips, bananas, banana chips, strawberries, honey, fluffernutter, Nutella, apples, etc., etc., galore! Finish it off with a cookie decorating/ice cream sundae bar and your house just became the coolest spot in town! Just, of course, beware any hot pepper chili flakes, or dashes of tobacco~ you wouldn’t want a fire-breathing salsa dragon fiasco on your hands! But say, you and your little one were super curious to know… what would happen in a * fire-breathing salsa dragon* fiasco? Well check out this *Dragons Love Tacos* twist on the classic volcano eruption experiment for an afternoon of erupting, fiery fun!
- Small jar
- Small cup
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Baking soda
- Yellow food coloring
- Dish soap
- 1 sheet of red construction paper
- 1 sheet of white construction paper
- Black and green marker
Directions for Dragon
- Cut the red paper to fit and wrap around the jar. Tape/glue it wrapped around the jar.
- For the eyes, cut two long oval shapes from the red paper. Fold them in half so they can remain propped up on one side.
- Cut out two white circles for the eyes and color in the black pupils with the marker.
- Glue the eyes to the propped-up side of the ovals facing outward. Glue them onto the middle of the red-paper jar near with the eyeballs facing up towards the jar opening.
- For the nose, cut out a two-hump ridge. Fold it to prop up like the eyes. Glue/tape it near the top of the jar, facing toward the opening of the jar.
Directions for the Fire Breathing Salsa Experiment
- In the dragon jar
- Add 1/3 cup of water
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of dish soap (more soap of you want more foam)
- *No mixing necessary
- In the separate small *salsa* cup
- Add 5 tablespoons of vinegar
- 3 drops of yellow food coloring
- Make a Hot Salsa Label for the vinegar/food dye cup
- Cut out a small square of white paper to fit on your *salsa* cup
- Write *Hot Salsa* and add *specks* of green jalapeño pepper
- Tape it onto the salsa container
- BEFORE *feeding* the dragon the salsa, place dragon jar on the tray to avoid foam mess
- Pour *salsa* vinegar cup into dragon jar…
And watch what happens when you Feed a Dragon Hot Salsa!!
Enjoy Your Fire-Breathing Salsa Dragon!
- Connect the fire-breathing explosion to what happened in the story during the taco party fiasco
- Watch and discuss the reaction of these common household-substances
- Children will delight in the bubbling, foamy, eruption!
*~Overall, have fun creating your own Fire-Breathing Salsa Dragons, and I hope you and your little ones have a delicious, delightful, family-friends-and food-filled Holiday week of celebration and *relaxation!* Please comment below – tag me on Instagram @MaiStoryBookLibrary – or post on FaceBook to share your photos of your own *Fire-Breathing Salsa Dragons* and your own reading adventures! I’d love to hear from you!~*
*Check Back on Next Friday for our New Reading Adventure*
*~Until next time, Happy Reading~*